Think about bus operators on Transit Driver Appreciation Day
3/13/2020, 6 a.m.
Do you know what Wednesday, March 18, is?
National Bus Driver Appreciation Day.
It is also known as Transit Driver Appreciation Day.
I think about our bus operators and the sacrifices they make on a daily basis to get us to our destinations:
• The mandatory overtime they endure, working days that they should be off.
• Some operators are driving around with back pain, colds and other ailments.
• The conflict they endure on a regular basis with patrons who are difficult to accommodate.
• The lack of thanks that they receive from their superiors and the patrons who depend on them every day.
• The many near-accidents they avoid to keep us safe.
• The many last-minute detours they have to abide by at the spur of the moment, which disrupts their schedule.
Of the more than 20 drivers I recently talked to about National Bus Driver Appreciation Day, only two knew there was such a day.
Can we do something for these drivers on that day? A thank you would be more than appropriate.
Our bus operators deserve this and I want to do my part to encourage them. If there is anything that I can do, I will be happy to contribute to the cause.
I love our bus operators!
DAVID GREEN Norfolk
The writer is a customer service representative for Hampton Roads Transit.