Letters to the Editor

Invest in Richmond’s schoolchildren, not Coliseum

Re “Moving on up or out? Mayor Stoney submits to City Council $1.5B Coliseum replacement and Downtown development plan,” Free Press Aug. 8-10 edition: Richmond is in the process of approving spending $1.5 billion for city infrastructure development, including a ...

Toward more precise language

Re “University health services bracing for ripple effect from mass shootings,” Free Press Aug. 15-17 edition: Your article quotes Dr. Darylnet Lyttle, director of the student health center at Virginia State University, saying, “We are at work to reduce the ...

Say it ain't so

Re “Big Herm’s again only black-owned food vendor at Washington NFL team training camp,” Free Press Aug. 1-3 edition: Big Herm’s Kitchen is the only black-owned vendor at the Washington NFL team training camp. This has occurred three years straight. ...

Kudos to state Dems for rejecting Jamestown event with Trump

Re “Virginia lawmakers spar on reported Trump visit to Jamestown,” Free Press July 25-27 edition:

Loss, civility and compassion

A couple of days ago, my 95-year-old mother passed away suddenly. She was doing well one day, and a day or two later, she was gone. The one good thing was that she didn’t suffer.

Calling out racism

Re Editorial “Protecting the real America,” Free Press July 18-20 edition:

What goes around, comes around

Demographically, white folks comprise about 16 percent of the global population. Can you imagine their sum-total consternation if the other 84 percent, mostly folks of color, suddenly took up the chant, “Go back to where you came from”?

History class with Trump

As George Washington climbed aboard Air Force One to fly to Europe, Capt. Paul Revere started the engines. As Capt. Revere took off he yelled, “The Americans are coming! Beware!” A Donald Trump history class is so enlightening.

Engagement needed, not whitewash

Unfortunately, holding closed-door meetings will not accomplish what he seeks. Gov. Northam still has serious questions to answer.

‘We must do better’

I had three, young African-American men murdered in my district just in the week leading up to the Fourth of July holiday.

Use the right name for newly renamed boulevard

Re ‘A true champion’: Thousands celebrate dedication of Arthur Ashe Boulevard, Free Press June 27-29 edition: His name is Arthur Ashe Jr. His father’s name is Arthur Ashe.

8th District residents matter

For far too long, the voices of Richmond’s 8th District residents have been ignored.

Why won't Fairfax’s accusers talk with police?

For months now, Lt. Gov. Justin E. Fairfax has asked that police open investigations into allegations that he sexually assaulted two women – one 15 years ago and the other 20 years ago.

Gov. Northam’s agenda will ‘disarm honest, law-abiding populace’

Re “ ‘Votes and laws, not thoughts and prayers’: Gov. Northam calls for special General Assembly session to deal with gun violence,” Free Press June 6-8 edition: Gov. Ralph S. Northam, in an attempt to divert the public’s attention from ...

‘We already have reparations’

Re “Lawmakers hear the case for reparations,” Free Press June 20-22 edition: There are no block grant monies that have or will be solely targeted to the African-American community in an attempt to make amends for the wrong the government ...