It was a sweet Halloween for Richmond youngsters, including 6-year-old Timothy Townes, who attended “Trunk or Treat” hosted by Moore Street Missionary Baptist Church last Saturday in the church parking lot at 1408 W. Leigh St. in the Carver community. The youngsters enjoyed trick or treating by going from trunk to trunk of cars and vehicles decorated for the event and supplied with loads of treats. Here, barbara burton, a church member who dressed as an “urban farmer,” hands out candy from the stash in her trunk.
The former Baker Elementary School in Gilpin Court has been remodeled and is now a 50-unit apartment complex serving low-income seniors with modern appliances, gleaming countertops, hardwood floors and a fitness center. Gov. Ralph S. Northam, center, joins Brian McLaughlin, president of Enterprise Community Development’s community development division, and other dignitaries to cut the ribbon at the grand opening Oct. 28 for the new complex at 100 W. Baker St.
The $15.8 million renovation is the last of three projects that have emptied nearby Fay Towers, a 200-unit high-rise that the Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority operated and expects to market for affordable housing. As part of its plan to privatize public housing, RRHA teamed with Enter- prise Community Development to create 149 other units for tower residents in Highland Park and in The Rosa Apartments, a new complex at 1st and Duval streets in Jackson Ward. All told, Enterprise has invested more than $40 million to create replacement units for those who live in Fay Towers.
Residential units represent a big change for the Baker property that had been a school site since 1871. According to the city school system, this building opened in 1940 as a replacement for the worn-out original. Closed as an elementary school in 1979, the building was renamed for a former principal, Katherine L. Johnson, and was used as an alternative school for troubled middle and high school students until 2013 when RPS vacated the building.
Expert gardener Duron Chavis, above, welcomes visitors to the official opening of the Sankofa Community Orchard last Saturday during a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the city-owned site at 309 Covington Road in South Side.
Two acres of green space that previously wasn’t used has been turned into a lush garden with more than 80 fruit trees, colorful murals by local artists, benches for meditation, open spaces for yoga and gatherings and a covered outdoor kitchen. Participants wandered through the garden and learned more about the products, services and programming planned for the site. Mr. Duron, the lead volunteer on the project, said fresh fruit grown at the orchard will be available free to everyone. The project is designed to boost healthy living and eating while offering more park space in South Side.
Brownie bites on South Side