VSU celebrates homecoming this weekend
10/22/2016, 4:02 p.m.
Grammy Award-winning gospel musician and choir director Kirk Franklin will perform at Virginia State University’s 2016 Homecoming Gospel Concert.
The ticketed concert, slated for 7 to 10 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 20, at the VSU Multipurpose Center, is among the activities celebrating homecoming at the university in Ettrick.
Mr. Franklin is known for leading several urban contemporary gospel choirs including “The Family,” “One Nation Crew” and “God’s Property.” His latest single “Wanna Be Happy?” from the album “Losing My Religion,” was No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Gospel Charts for several weeks after its release late last year.
Other homecoming events for the VSU Trojans include:
• President’s Scholarship Golf Tournament, Friday, Oct. 21, at the Country Club of Petersburg, 1250 Flank Road in Petersburg. Registration begins at 7 a.m.
• VSU Alumni Flag Football Game, 4 to 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21, at Foster Hall Back Lawn.
• VSU Freestyle Funny Comedy Show Concert, 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21, at the VSU Multipurpose Center, featuring comedians Big Baby, B Daht, Chico Bean and Osama Bin Dranking from the popular MTV show “Wildin’ Out.” Tickets are $10 to $20.
• VSU Annual Homecoming Parade, 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, starting at Washington Street and culminating at Ettrick Elementary School in Petersburg.
• VSU Homecoming Football Game against Lincoln University, 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at Rogers Stadium.
• VSU Homecoming Hip Hop Concert, 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at the VSU Multipurpose Center. Tickets range from $38 to $63.
• VSU Homecoming Jazz on the Hill, 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct.22, at Gateway Dining and Event Center on campus. Performances will feature Curv Appeal, led by VSU alumnus Curvey Reid. Tickets are $35; $45 at the door.
For a full schedule of homecoming festivities, including ticket prices, go to www.vsu.edu/homecoming/.